I know the Olive Garden gets made fun of a lot, but I adore their stuffed chicken Marsala. I order it every time we eat there and I'm never disappointed. While it's virtually impossible to replicate a restaurant dish perfectly in my experience there's (something about a chef and dish washer that makes the food that much better), this recipe is as close as I've ever gotten. The cheese filling was spot on and instantly recognizable,,
Stuffed Chicken Marsala
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup smoked shredded cheese (provolone or gouda)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 8-oz package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomato flakes (drain first if in oil)
- 3/4 cup sour cream (6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 4 fl oz olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 fl oz heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 small containers button mushrooms, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 24 fl oz Marsala wine
- Pre-heat oven to 350�F.
- COMBINE all cheese stuffing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- BUTTERFLY thickest section of chicken breasts to create 2 lobes. Pound each breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until �� - �� thick.
- PLACE flattened chicken breasts on a plate and place desired amount of stuffing on one lobe of each chicken breast. Gently press stuffing down so it resembles a hockey puck.
- FOLD over other lobe of chicken breast; does not have to seal.
- HEAT large saut� pan over medium heat.
- ADD olive oil and heat until shimmering.
- PLACE flour in a shallow pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- DREDGE stuffed chicken breasts in flour, shaking off excess.
- SAUTE chicken breasts with preheated oil, cooking until each side is golden brown.
- REMOVE chicken from pan and place in a baking dish.
- BAKE for 10-20 minutes, or until juices run clean and center of chicken reaches 165�F.
- ADD onions to saut� pan, and stir to loosen chicken drippings. After 2 minutes, add mushrooms and saut� until onions are translucent.
- DEGLAZE pan with Marsala wine � make sure to incorporate drippings from bottom of pan.
- HEAT wine to a simmer and add heavy cream. Simmer on low heat until reduced by half.
- PLACE cooked chicken breasts on a plate and top each with onions, mushrooms and sauce.
- SERVE with your favorite garlic mashed potato recipe.