Is it a side dish? Or is it a relish? This Mexican Corn Salad can be either�depending on your menu.
Put a dollop of the salad on top of grilled salmon or tilapia for a south-of-the-border garnish. Or add black beans from a can (drained and rinsed) to serve as a main dish. If you use fresh sweet corn, the flavors will pop. Use frozen corn and the dish will be ready in a jiffy.
Mexican Corn Salad
- 4 cups frozen corn (thawed) or 8 large ears fresh corn
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- If you use frozen corn, thaw before using.
- If you use fresh corn, boil for 8 minutes in lightly salted water, cool with cold water and cut corn kernels from cob.
- Place corn, red onion, green and red bell peppers, tomato, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper sauce (optional), olive oil, lime juice and rice wine vinegar in bowl. Toss until completely combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.