Like most Italian cookies, these lemon drop cookies aren't too sweet. The perfect summer-time treat or a great addition to your holiday cookie tray!
Anginetti (Italian Lemon Drop Cookies)
Yield: 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Preheat oven to 350�F.
- cream together sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt; Mix well.
- The dough should be soft and sticky.
- With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a slightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
- combine confectioners' sugar, water and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
- Frost the tops of each cookie with a metal spatula.
- Allow cookies to dry before stacking.
- Store in an airtight container.
~NOTE~ If you want to freeze the cookies, freeze unfrosted and frost once thawed.