Made this for my last camping trip ans it was a hit! Even my picky 3yr old & 5yrold loved it. I have to admit I ate most of it myself. …cooking about another batch as I’m typing for another weekend camping trip..
Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 8 medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Chives, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Wash and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Cover with water and boil until fork tender, about 20-25 minutes. Do not overcook!
2. Drain and cool the potatoes. I put them in a separate bowl and once they cooled enough I put them in the fridge to cool all the way. This gave them an excellent texture and prevented the dairy ingredients from getting hot or the cheese from melting. If you are serving this salad hot then you don’t need to cool the potatoes, just skip step 2!
3. Mix the mayo and sour cream together in a bowl. Add to the potatoes, then add the onions, chives, and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste – I use a pepper grinder and a sea salt grinder for EVERYTHING so I never know exactly how much of either I put in. I think the taste is far superior to just using regular table salt and pepper.
4. Top with extra shredded cheese and bacon and serve!
I think next time I will add chives and we may try serving this warm once as well. It’s a simple and inexpensive side dish for any meal but especially great to take to a barbecue. My favorite part is that this is one of the regular ole recipes that anyone would make without realizing that it happens to be gluten free naturally. Those are my favorite! No special ingredients or expensive grocery stores, just regular food that I can eat along with everybody else. And I did it myself. :D