My daughters and I are on a low-carb diet and were looking for something to curb our 'French fry' cravings. I've heard that turnips can be made into some great 'fries.' I experimented with it and came up with this. You can add whatever spices you'd like
Crispy Turnip 'Fries'
makes 8 servings
- 3 pounds turnips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a piece of aluminum foil and lightly grease.
- Peel the turnips, and cut into French fry-sized sticks, about 1/3 by 4 inches. Place into a large bowl, and toss with the vegetable oil to coat. Place the Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder in a resealable plastic bag, and shake to mix. Place the oiled turnips into the bag, and shake until evenly coated with the spices. Spread out onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until the outside is crispy, and the inside is tender, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.