Love at first bite..
SUCH an overworked expression, but still… when you’re talking cheesecake, the tiniest bite is capable of sending you into paroxysms of ardor. The richness of the cream cheese! The delightful interplay of tangy and sweet; the barely crunchy crust cradling its ultra-smooth filling…
Creamy, vanilla-scented bars, perfect with a cup of coffee.
Yield: 16 servings
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, about 8 whole crackers
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 16 ounces (2 large packages) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla extract or Vanilla Bean Crush
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel, optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, optional
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) To make the crust: Stir together the crumbs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and melted butter.
3) Press into the bottom and about 1/2" inch up the sides of an 8" x 8" square pan.
4) Freeze for 15 minutes if using a metal pan (not necessary if using ceramic or glass). Note: this is to prevent the edges of the crust from slumping. If you're not worried about slumping (and in our testing, it only happened some of the time), you can skip this step.
5) Bake the crust for 8 to 10 minutes, until set; the color won't change much.
6) Remove the crust from the oven and cool for a few minutes while you lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
7) To make the batter: Mix the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth.
8) Add the cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice; mix until combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as you mix.
9) Spoon the batter into the crust.
10) Bake the bars for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling is set but still soft in the center. An instant-read thermometer, inserted into the filling about 1" in from the edge, will read about 180°F.
11) Remove the bars from the oven, and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
12) Just before serving, top with fresh berries, fruit pie filling, or whipped cream.